Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Freeriders are doing it for themselves

Meeting with the Alnwick freeriders
I had a great meeting this afternoon with the Alnwick Freeriders, a group of young lads who are trying to get a bike track to enable them to keep up with their sport, which is one of the fastest growing in the country.

They have been working with the Gallery youth project to get a space that is suitable. They are negotiating for some land from Northumberland Estates. I met with them to see how the County Council could help. I'm taking it back to county hall and we're going to see what we can do. This is a really good example of young people breaking with the stereotype that is all too often attached to them. I was really impressed and am going to do what we can. I recommended that they get in touch with people from my home town such as Neville Potts, who has done a lot to push forwards Mountain biking in the town. Incidentally, it was a good day for cycling all round today as Berwick MP Sir Alan Beith introduced a ten minute rule bill in parliament calling for blind spots in lorries to be eradicated to make things. You can watch it here

1 comment:

  1. Great work Neil! I'm sure with you in County Hall these kids will get all the help they need to get their new bike track.

    ReplyDelete