Saturday, 27 February 2010

Challenge Accepted




A friend of mine, who lives outside of Blaydon constituency, bizarrely received a leaflet from my Conservative opponent, Glenn Hall. Very interesting reading! There is one thing at least that he agrees with my Labour Opponent on. That it is between the Conservatives and Labour here and you definitely shouldn't consider voting for the pesky Lib Dems!

I welcome these silly season articles from Glenn and our outgoing Labour MP, because it gives me another opportunity to remind readers of the actual facts of this election in Blaydon. The Conservatives got 8% of the vote last time and don't have a single councillor in Gateshead or Newcastle. The bookies place Glenns Odds of winning at 66-1. It's simple, if you are sick of Gordon Brown the Lib Dems are the only party credibly able to beat Labour round here.

I had a look at the Conservatives website for this area (office address Westerhope, Newcastle!) and in it was a news article from Glenn saying he had written to me challenging me to a debate. Great news. Now I have a contact email for him, I have responded straight away. As I believe in full disclosure, here is my reply:

Dear Glenn

Firstly, let me welcome you to the race to be the MP for Blaydon. I am pleased that the Conservatives have finally selected a candidate. I have had a look at your website, which had a news article saying that you had challenged myself and Mr Anderson to a debate. I’m afraid I have not yet received this “challenge” by email or post but am happy to debate with you, Labours candidate and indeed any other candidates for Blaydon Constituency. Like you, I think it’s vital that people are given the opportunity to question the people who want the honour of being elected to Parliament and am happy to have a debate in any format.

I would suggest that it would be great to take the debate to as many communities in the constituency as possible. Ideally, it would be best to have as many debates as possible in the 10 wards in the constituency. In terms of a date, I am aware that you are probably a bit more inflexible than me with your legal work in the City of London and your council duties in Royal Tunbridge Wells and David is quite rightly in Westminster a lot, so I will leave date proposals to yourself and our Labour opponent.

I am looking forward to a robust exchange of views and a clean campaign over the coming months.

Kind regards,

Neil Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment