Monday, 11 May 2009

Telegraph suddenly compulsive reading

This morning when I went to the newsagents, for the first time in a long time, I bought a copy of the Telegraph! My parents used to get this paper sometimes but I must confess it has probably been 15 years since I last picked one up. Just shows the benefits of a scoop to circulation. Now it is the Conservatives time to suffer under the spotlight.

Money to fix Oliver Letwins tennis court is todays expense that catches my eye. It is easy for people to fall into the trap of viewing expenses as an entitlement rather than just cover for the essentials. But those of us in public life have got to try not to enrich ourselves at the taxpayers expense. It's ironic that local councillors and public sector staff would not be allowed to get away with this. Something has to be done but I think we should all follow the lead of the Scottish Parliment where every receipt is immediately viewable. Only with total transparency can Parliament recover its prestige.

It was amusing to watch Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP, on the telly yesterday. His call to transfer all sovereignty back to parliament seemed particularly badly timed. Its certainly true that my work as a candidate for the European Parliament has shown that some of the UKIP MEPs have, ironically, conformed the most to UKIPs message that MEPs have their snouts in the trough by behaving in a disgracefull fashion!

Anyway its off to Rowlands Gill again for more leafleting on behalf of Ray Callender in the forthcoming council by-election. Apparently Labour have put a very silly leaflet out that does a better job of promoting the Lib Dems than themselves. I will reserve judgement till I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment